Please direct comments about this site to
St. Augustine's Church-Historical Highlights
Station of Keeseville. A "station" was where Mass was offered regularly but there was no erected church.
August 22, 1883:
Parish incorporated as St. Fabian's Church.
August 23, 1883:
Parish renamed and incorporated as St. Augustine's.
Bell tower and steeple added; church blessed by Rev. Thomas Walsh,
V.G. on July
Miraculous Medal Society organized for the ladies of St. Augustine's Church. Later
that same year, the name changed to Altar Rosary Society.
New church hall constructed across road from church for $13,500 (razed 1981).
St. Augustine's School opens with 120 students in grades 1-3.
May 10, 1961:
St. Patrick's Church, West Peru, transferred to St. Augustine's as a mission church by Bishop James J.
Men of St. Augustine's Parish organize St. Vincent de Paul Society.
Due to a need for a larger convent, the former home of Dr. George Malouf is purchased for use as a convent.
Bingo first held at St. Augustine's.
St. Augustine's Knights of Columbus Council #7273 formed.
Paul Catkins Memorial Hall completed; old church razed.
June 2, 1981;
Groundbreaking held for new church.
December 24, 1981:
First Mass offered in the new church.
Stained glass window in today's church is designed around the bell
tower wheel of old church and dedicated to Rev. Clyde Lewis at his
silver jubilee celebration.
Catholic Daughters of the Americas establishes St. Monica's Court #2598.
The following documents are in PDF format
and require Adobe Acrobat
Read the entire history of St. Augustine's
Read the entire history of St. Patrick's
Visit the Mother Cabrini Shrine website
See a YouTube Presentation of 125
Years of History